A Travellerspoint blog

Day 8-Greece Sightseeing(Mountains, Markets and Monasteries)

Meteora, Greece

sunny 32 °C

Early morning, here we come. We woke up at 4.15am (Italy time, Greece is an hour ahead), and made our way to breakfast. As soon as we finished breakfast, we got our bags and waited in reception for about 30 minutes until we disembarked. I face timed Mum and Dad while we were waiting too. We finally got off the boat to the 29 degree weather. We drove a little ways to Kalambaka, through mountains with a little snow on top. It wasn't very cold, though. We stopped at a really pretty town in the mountains. Rachel (Our guide for the whole trip) told us bears and wolves lived around here. Luckily, we didn't see any. She also said the widows would dress in black so no-one made fun of them. They looked really cheery, though, I think they had a little too much Bakalava. Speaking of backalava, we went to a little cafe' and had a slice of it to share between the three of us, and I ordered a hot chocolate too. When our food came, I dived into the backalava, and it was delicious! After 4 bites, though, I was stuffed! The hot chocolate was huge too, although it was not literal melted chocolate! We walked around a while and there was so many wood carvings and the souvenir shop products were all wooden. They sold these bead bracelet things that you play with when your stressed. They were really fun! We boarded the coach again to Kalambaka, which was about a 2 hour drive. We got there, and there was these huge rock formations with the monasteries where the nuns and monks live (Monks in one, Nuns in another). There were a few of them perched on top of the big rocks. We stopped at the Meteora Restaurant for lunch (Meteora is the Region of which Kalmbaka is in). This was run by an older woman, Katie, and the restaurant was full of her family's trophies, ribbons, photos ect. Also, all the food was home cooked. We then walked around, because we had about 2 hours free-time. I got a snickers gelato too!
We then sat underneath a tree near a fountain for a little bit. We then took the bus to a Monastery called St. Barbara. We had to wear the long skirts they provided, and since it was hot out, I was boiling. We walked through the prayer room too. The nuns would wake up at 4am, and have breakfast before praying 'till 9am, then they would open the Monastery to the public. 2 nuns would work the tickets and gift shop while the others clean, sew, paint ect. After that, we went to St. Stevens. The views were really good too. After the Monasteries we drove to our hotel, which was in the middle of no-where in the bush. I liked it because it was cut off from everything else. Me and Grandy went down to the pool because it was hot out. The pool was so big. We were swimming around when Grandy spotted a small snake in the pool. Other people from our tour had just come out to the pool, so they saw it too. We called Management, and they came and came Grandy the scooper thing to get it out! We stayed in the pool for a while before getting out to get changed for dinner.Dinner was a humongous buffet, and after dinner, there was a dessert buffet too! After that we played Mills & Runs and Nanny won, again. We then went to sleep really quickly. Tomorrow is a drive to Delphi, then we go to Athens.


Posted by Italy17 06:05 Archived in Greece

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint